Portfolio

Tuesday 1 September 2009

Pissing on Climate Camp

Every media resource had differing opinions on Climate Camp. To the right-wing media, it was a hippie-festooned mess, to the left-wing media, it was a well-organised campaign hearkening back to the demonstrations held on that very same patch of grass in south-east London hundreds of years ago.

I went there on Saturday night at 12.30am, and all I saw was a tiny fenced off area covering a tiny portion of Blackheath. I did a really long wee at the fence. No-one inside the designated rowdy hippy area was awake, let alone rowdy.

Why did I decide to piss on the fence? Two reasons. I really needed a wee, and, as always, wanted to be able tell a good story. As the wind helped me drip-dry from one of the longest pisses I have ever had, I looked around the campsite.

I found it interesting that all these environmental acitivists were kept within a small locus, unable to use the rest of Blackheath freely. I don't know who set the barriers up, but the whole area dedicated to Climate Camp was about a quarter of the size of the funfair next to it. I like that the media decided to give Climate Camp a disproportionately large amount of coverage, showing that what the campers were doing had an importance behind it exceeding that of the gaudy funfair.

Ultimately, I hope that the issues surrounding climate change and the 10:10 conference will be addressed more so than locals' issues surrounding the possible nuisance of a couple of hundred stoners chilling out on some public land for a week.

At least they used portaloos.

No comments:

Post a Comment