Portfolio

Monday 6 July 2009

Sneaking into a Madonna gig.

After Michael Jackson died, and I finished studying at university, I decided I needed a new direction in my life. I realised that as upset as I was at Michael Jackson's passing, I'd be in floods of tears when Madonna goes. I decided that, whatever I do with my degree, or my life in general, I must always have the means to see a Madonna concert. I know that with her yoga and smoothie lifestyle she's going to last a while, so I thought it would be a long term project of mine to always have enough money in the bank to afford a Madonna ticket.



Until my lodger told me about being sent a few extra tickets. The whole thing is a little dodgy, but I ended up seeing Madonna. Just about. The o2 is the most hideously large venue with a soundsystem which leaves a lot to the imagination, unlike some of Madonna's dancemoves. However, she is a living legend. A lot of her old songs were spliced with new production, with nifty little touches here and there. Frozen was sung over the Deadmau5 remix of Calvin Harris' I'm Not Alone. Holiday had bits of Everybody playing in the mix. Paul Oakenfold was onstage throughout and the whole thing was live. Her voice has deepened a lot since the early years, therefore Papa Don't Preach was out of the question. Human Nature and He Must Love Me were amazing, as were all of the newer songs.


The Spanish interlude was a bit trashy, with all the intentions of being classy disrupted by the audience clapping fat-handedly and out of time. The montage of all the Romany children's suffering around the world was also a bit righteous. I'm not sure how far Madonna's charity work extends, but it was interesting to see an act who vibes off of general humanitarian crises to get an emotional response from the audience.

Michael Jackson was someone who did this exact same thing, and I don't think it's a massive problem, as it does draw attention to the issues, but gazing around the audience, I realised that a lot of Madonna fans are stupid twats. Showing starving children on a big screen won't line anyone but Madonna's pockets. Luckily, she does decide to donate a fraction of her millions to charity work.


The whole thing was a bit of a blur but I'm very pleased to have gone. Now I must make a new mission for life and achieve it within the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment